@ Promoting Greek Culture
If you dream of a living relationship with culture, you are in touch with the Information Society. The possibilities offered by modern ICT for exchanging images, text and sounds overlook the barriers of language and provide major opportunities to promote Greece’s cultural heritage.
A characteristic InfoSoc project is the e-exhibition on the history of the ancient Olympic Games with a € 5 million budget.
of this project is to provide an integrated presentation of, and to highlight the history of the ancient Olympic Games, one of the most globally important and interesting topics in Greek cultural heritage.
The project relates to development of an innovative, cutting-edge technology museum-exhibition programme which effectively combines modern cultural-leisure activities of visitors with the possibility to combine, recreate and communicate knowledge offered by modern technology.
The e-exhibition on the history of the ancient Olympic Games:
- Will be developed and run at the building containing the old museum at Ancient Olympia.
- Will primarily be based on the knowledge and history recreation possibilities offered by digital technologies.
- Will be aimed at thousands of visitors to the Olympia archaeological site.
The precise scope of the project includes:
- designing, developing and installing a cutting-edge, technologically innovative IT system which takes visitors on a tour, provides information about the history of the ancient Olympic Games.
- producing, collecting, adjusting, translating and reviewing the content relating to the history of the ancient Olympic Games which will be presented via the IT system. The content covers the history of the ancient Olympic Games from their inauguration up to 393 AD with brief references to sport as a concept and ideal, to the origins of sports and the main Panhellenic games.
Implementation of the project is expected to contribute to:
The direct beneficiaries of the project will be visitors (be they Greeks or foreigners) and residents of the wider area of Ancient Olympia.